What Happens When You Call
Deciding to talk to someone about your life and your family is a big step!
Sometimes people feel a bit nervous when they call Parentline for the first time.
When you call Parentline you can:
- Arrange to speak with the same counsellor
- Choose the gender of the counsellor
- Know you will be treated with respect and understanding
- Use the service as often as needed
- Access interpreter services for callers with hearing impairments
The below information might help you feel more comfortable when you make that first call.
Each time you call:
- You will hear a recorded message that tells you about how Parentline works
- After listening to this message, you will be connected with a counsellor. When Parentline gets busy, sometimes we will need to put you on hold until a counsellor is available
- The counsellor you speak to will tell you his or her name, so if you call again, you can ask to speak to the same person
- Your counsellor will ask you what you would like to talk about and ask you some questions to help understand what's going on for you
Parentline is open between 8am and 10pm, 7 days a week. If you call outside of these hours, you will hear a recorded message.